Shut my mouth

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 16:34:53 -0500

>Question:  How honest should we be when asked to evaluate an old piano?  I
>just feel that we are not doing them a service to agree with their misguided
>logic.  On the other hand, they really don't want to know the bad parts and
>I don't want to lose a customer.  Where is the middle road?
>
>Phil Ryan
>Miami Beach

It's really tough. Perhaps the best approach is to offer them a
realistic estimate of how much it would take to totally restore their
"priceless family heirloom" without all the detailed explanations ...
and proceed to do the "minimal tuning/make sure all 88 keys strike"
job that they're willing to pay for on that day.
For enough money, some day in the future you might be willing to put
a new soundboard and pinblock in that Naga Wurly!

Patrick