Need an appraisal on old Steinway

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 20:57:44 EST

I sent this information to Steinway, and got sketchy reply. But they are not
able to give me a dollar appraised value. Can any one give me an approximate
on this.

Steinway grand, ser. #39182. This is a 85 note Rosewood piano, in original
condition. The pin block needs to be replaced. The action and back action
need to be rebuilt. The sound board has a few cracks, but does have crown, so
it can be repaired. The legs were replaced with standard legs about 50 years
ago. The lyre doesn't look like a Steinway Lyre, in that it doesn't have the
plate for the pedals, but it does work.

The customer wants an appraisal value in its current condition, and what the
piano would be worth if it was restored.

Willem Blees RPT, Piano technician

Answer from Steinway.

THIS INSTRUMENT IS A MODEL I  7 OCTAVE, ROSEWOOD
MANUFACTURED IN OUR NEW YORK FACTORY, FEBRUARY 5,
1879.
FIRST OWNER WAS H.P. WEISS FROM DETROIT, MICHIGAN
FEBRUARY 20, 1879.

Thanks

Willem