fun at the piano store!

John McKone mckonejw@skypoint.com
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 09:50:48 -0600

The only "evidence" I can submit would be contrary evidence...

I have pulled apart many wonderfully stable pianos for restringing and
found amazing gaps at the flange.  Have also wedged badly fit blocks and
found little improvement in stability.   In general, over the years, I have
found little correlation between block fit and stability.

I know, I know, this is all anecdotal, but I think many of us have had
similar observations, and would like to see some "hard" experimentation to
find out whats really happening.

Note:  One of my favorite parts of the rebuilding proccess is getting that
perfect flange/block fit.  (didn't want anyone to think I slop through the
job!)

John McKone

>Does anyone have any "objective" evidence that there is significant (meaning
>tuning altering) pinblock movement after intial tensioning of the
>strings....since the talk is of "wedging" between plate flange and pinblock
>it is movement in this direction that I am adressing....any 'objective'
>evidence anyone??

John McKone, RPT
St. louis Park, Minnesota
mckonejw@skypoint.com