Market research

ANRPiano@AOL.COM ANRPiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 01:11:07 EST

In a message dated 3/18/00 7:33:56 PM Central Standard Time, Wimblees@AOL.COM
writes:

<< It is also estimated that one piano tuner can make a living with about
2000
 pianos in a customer file. This doesn't mean all 2000 get tuned twice a
year,
 but that 2000 pianos will keep a piano tuner busy, and with an adequate
 income.

 Therefore, using the above formula, there should be one piano tuner for
every
 10,000 people.

 Now, maybe the percentage is lower than it used to be, but I would still
 guess that one piano tuner should be able to make a living in an area of
 about 15,000 people.

 Wim >>
Yea, but, what about rebuilding, refinishing, basic maintenance, regulation,
etc.?  I was thinking about this very topic last week as I talked to one of
my apprentices about going out on his own.  I have found I am quite busy with
less than half of that number, too busy in fact.  If you provide anything
approaching full service you don't need 2000 customers, more like 500 active
accounts.  The key is full service, everything from regular cleaning to
regulating plus an occasional rebuilding to round out the year.

Just my 2 cents.

Andrew Remillard