Baldwin Hamilton butts and backchecks

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 13:14:01 -0600

>...then remove the butts from the action and cut off the buckskin with a
>knife (time consuming).  Hammer butt removal requires spacing the hammers
>>to the strings on reinstallation...
>Bill Shull...

I know the web site I listed mentions doing this as well.  However, it
seems I remember not having to remove the hammer assemblies when I did this
job (long ago).  Instead, while in an action cradle, I removed the damper
levers and the hammer spring rail which allowed the hammer assemblies to
fall forward far enough for easy access to the hardened leathers, thereby
eliminating the need for spacing to the strings.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild