Wee Aeolian Spinet Player

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:12:58 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Ron Nossaman <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2000 10:17 PM
Subject: Re: Wee Aeolian Spinet Player

>>, sooner or later the "high quality rubber" tubing and hoses that
> >Aeolian used will become brittle and break with the movement.
>
> Just in the interest of being a trouble maker, the original (1920s)
Aeolian
> tubing  was about the best quality the industry ever produced. Somehow, I
> expect this incarnation didn't quite make the same cut, however. Good
point.

> Ron N

Yes, Aeolian from the turn of the century and on into the 20's was noted for
top quality player piano units and materials used.  Some chemist knew what
he was doing, because I have seen the rubber cloth and tubing in perfect
condition in the 70's, at least 50 years old. This was a rare execption
though.   Today with much less demand for rubber cloth and leather valve
facings, it is a wonder that anything can be found at all.  I have heard
that air pollution, the sulfur compounds drastically shorten the life of
rubber and leather today.
` The synthetics have  been laughed at all the way to quick failure.
Neoprene tubing was a disaaster, the clear "acquarium" tubing (to replace
the slimmy vinal) is still pliable as ever, but alas it is too loose on the
nipples. Foam rubber spacers instead of felt.  I am sure naughalhyde has
been used in place of leather.
    A few good things did emerge such as the coated nylon cloth, and the
glue to hold it, PVC-e ---ric