Copy router for pinblocks

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 03:34:21 EST

Richard,

Brian is right about the plate as a reference point.  Jim Bryant mentioned
Shawn Hoar.  Shawn Hoar's system, which he developed himself with the
assistance of a machinist, perfectly surfaces the pinblock top surface by
referencing the plate. I think the flange fit was still done the old
fashioned way, but the top of the pinblock exactly fit the plate. He gives a
great PTG class on it (was at last year's CA State Convention).  I was so
impressed I took pictures.

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University, Riverside City College

<< Hi Richard,

 It's an interesting idea, for sure.

 But the more I think about it, the more I am convinced that a machine needs
 to duplicate the plate detail, not the old pinblock.  Many of the old
 pinblocks I've seen are / were never fit to the plate / web to begin with,
 at least not very well.

 Just a passing thought.

 Best wishes,

 Brian Trout