Automotive finishes

robert goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 21:37:14 -0800

Hey there...

I'm working on applying a black lacquer finish over what was a
light walnut studio upright.  The finish was damaged enough that
any repair would still look like patch work so filling and
sanding it down and shooting it with black lacquer seemed the
most economical solution.  I'll rub it down and it should have a
nice satin look.

As I was working on this project today a thought occurred to me.
What would it be like to apply an automotive finish to a piano?
Polyester seems to be impractical for the small shop if you want
a glossy finish, but a glossy automotive finish might be the
ticket.  It would be harder than lacquer, more resistant to
scratches, and have a poly-like appearance.  It would also be a
more practical and workable material to spray in a small shop.

Anybody ever experimented with this?  What do you think?

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV