Knabe sloped/curved pinblock project

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 18:39:06 -0500

Hi List,

I just finished building and fitting a pinblock for a very old Knabe grand.
It was one of the ones that has the tuning pins sloping forward towards the
strings and makes a big curve from bass to treble at the same time.

It took a long time to do it, but it turned out great.  It fits much better
than the original ever did, both to the plate web (it's not an open faced
pinblock) and the plate flange.

Finished up that part of the job last night, and picked up a check for it
this afternoon (all agreed to and spelled out in detail earlier).

It feels good.  I've been doing a lot of tunings and basic service calls
lately and truthfully, I've been getting kind of bored with that.  So this
was a shot in the arm.

I'm not done yet though.  I still have to make a soundboard and bridges for
the same piano.  It's actually the biggest one I've done, about 7'6", so I'm
a bit excited to get into it.

That's all.  I just thought someone out there might want to know about it
since I was asking for advice as to how to make that pinblock in the first
place.  If anyone wants more details, I'll be glad to post, publicly or
privately.

Best wishes to all,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA