Cost of Services was re: surcharge

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 09 Mar 2000 23:03:25 +0100

Nice reply  Roy.. and I aggree we are a bit off the origional subject. I have a
few clarifying points to make..grin... just sos we understands each other mind
you...

Roy Ulrich wrote:

> Of course you're right; the only problem is we're getting a little off
> topic. The original post was with regard to adding a surcharge because of
> increased gas prices, not prices in general. But as long as you brought it
> up....
>
> It's a little tough to get a handle on the average tuning fee what with so
> many on this list paranoid about discussing the subject, (yet how do the gas
> stations get by with being the same all the time?). But I am under the
> impression that the national average is around $75. I don't know if mileage
> is added on top of that number or not. I've been at $60 for a standard 45
> minute tuning plus 30 cents per mile round trip for the 1st 30 miles, then
> 90 cents a mile over 30. It pays the bills - We eat well and I wear $260
> shoes; that's not poverty.

Didnt mean to say anyone in particular is living in the poverty zone.. just was
sharpening the point a bit. And there are a good deal of techs who struggle
quite a bit economically. But this is to the side of my main point.

>  If I were to double my tuning fee tomorrow I have no
> doubt that I could kiss this job goodbye.

I wouldnt dream of suggestion anything like that... rather a slow but sure
transition to a less stressfull, more rewarding and interesting approach to the
whole job description. Takes time to build this.. but its very doable. Very
doable indeed.

> While I'm considering an increase in the near future, I also have to be
> aware of my competition.

Yes... well there are several way to do this.. and perhaps the least effective
(long term) is to react to his / her prices by lowering or holding in check your
own. Better is to make it known that one gets more for ones money by using
you... and thats where the trick of building your buisness comes in.

> Someone also mentioned that with the increase in
> gas prices there is a wide ranging affect to all businesses, and guess
> what - the tuning phone has slowed down quite a bit, and probably won't
> recover until gas goes down.

Dont wait for the phone to ring. Otherwise I wouldnt connect the increase in gas
to less tunings. Even if there was a connection its affect should not be so
detrimental to a healthy service buisness. At least not an increase on the
magnitude we are talking about here.

> NOT a good time to jack up prices on my end. Go
> ahead, convince me otherwise please.

Dont "jack" up your prices... Change your service profile... slowly but surely..
I stopped doing the 45 minute standard tuning routine years ago. I now sell a 1
and 1/2 hour service call. And I make sure that I do more then an hour and a
half worth of work every time... AND I make sure that the customer knows this on
some level or another. Anyone who cant sit down to a piano (I dont care how good
shape its in) and cant fill and hour and a half with very worthwhile (if not
down right needed) work is not looking close enough. That we choose to
instead..."get in and out of there fast" is what baffels me.

I ask you.... what is the point of whipping through as many 45 minute "specials"
so that you can make ends meet, when the alternative is so attractive. Number
one.. a more complete service program.. including "showing the customer" about
the effects of what you are doing is more interesting and leads to a better
understanding, appreciation, and eventually even constructive dialogue with you
about your work from your customers. Number two. It is much easier to lay out a
days schedule you can stick too. Unexpected needs for more time are simply given
a second appointment. Number three... you stop stressing all over the place to
get enough jobs to make enough money. Number four.. this contributes positively
to the industry at large by promoting real knowledge about what pianos are, why
there are real quality issues between different makes, when and how these become
important, and what in general piano techs do. Number five... sales folks end up
liking this too as in the end they start selling better and more expensive
instruments. Number six. Your job becomes more diverse, and more interesting
while at the same time you are able to increasingly pick and choose your work...
sending the stuff you dont want or feel is perhaps over your head along to other
techs..  networking if you will. Lastly and best of all... you make more money
for less effort (mark... not less time.. less effort), and you dont use as much
earning it.

The only reason I can see why techs dont move in this direction is that they
dont think it can be done. Well... it isnt done over nite.. and one does have to
keep an eye on how things are going all the time... but you CAN put yourself
into this position given enough time and hard dedicated work towards that end.
The rewards are indeed much more then the money.

In a nutshell... why burn yourself out for an "ok" wage in such a monotonous and
stressfull way when you can make a really decent (and well, honestly earned)
living while having fun all the way and at the same time doing your bit to make
the world just a little bit better a place to live in ???

> btw, I'm not suggesting that you're too high, in fact I'm a little envious.
> Good for you, but I can sense what _my_ customers are willing to part with,
> keeping in mind the cost of living in my area.

You might be suprised what your customers are willing to part with... if they
first understand the value of what they get in return.

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.