The $50,000 question

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 08 Mar 2000 21:37:13 +0100

My advice is to get the college to use the 50 grand to set up a shop, increase
your contract so you can begin to put back together as many pianos as time
allows. Work towards making the "piano tech and shop" an institution at the
school.

Here in Bergen I am responsible for 52 instruments, I get 21 hours a week, 7
of which are used only for fixing and improving pianos mechanically /
acoutstically. The other 14 hours a week is for keeping the pool as well
tuned  as is possible, with 3 instruments needing to be constantly in concert
tuned condition. Needless to say this is stretching things a bit, but its a
start and a big step in the right direction. 8 years ago they didnt even have
a regular tuner... just called "whoever" once in a while. I got into the
picture 2 years ago and took over full responsibility this past fall. Since
that time I have secured the extra 7 hours a week, and a small workshop "in
house" for action and less extensive repair work. I expect to be able to save
the institution about 25 % of the total expense they had last year and at the
same time markedly improve the basic quality / condition of the pianos while
maintaining the same standards for general tuning we have had this past two
years.

It takes a while to get this rolling... but if you show initiative and
willingness to work hard... and keep your face in theirs about it just the
right amount (enough to get and keep their attention, and not so much as to
piss them off ...grin) you can move mountians.

good luck

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.