Humidistat Performance

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 14:39:16 -0500

John:
My understanding is that for the humidistat to function as designed, it
would switch the dehumidifier on @ 46% RH and switch it off when RH is 38%
(or so). If a humidifier was installed, it would switch on @ 38% RH and
switch off @ 46% RH. Obviously, if a humidifier is not installed, all would
be off for the period it takes for RH to increase from 38% to 46% (or there
abouts). But for all my tests to consistently be hovering around 60% - I
just don't understand.

My reasoning for this being important to me is this: In Florida, RH in a
home drops to a low of approximately 35% during dry winter months (and
therefore, I do not see the need for humidification). If the dehumidifier
kept the soundboard environment to a maximum RH of around 42% (as
advertised), my overall RH range would be about 35% to 45%. Considering my
observations of my humidistat's performance, the RH range for the soundboard
is about 35% to 62% - not nearly as good as it presumably could be.

Don:
I have three hygrometers. The one sold by DC, another similar one, and one
that may be a bit better. All three are within 1 or 2 percent of each other.
I'm thinking of forking over the dough for a real good one. Bob Mair @ DC
recommended a couple of units that are more accurate. They run in the $200
to $350 range, depending on features.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida