Baldwin torque, (was survey)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 08 Mar 2000 08:54:59 -0600

>I have absolutely no statistics / figures / experimental data from which I
>draw the above statement.  It's all "hunch".

The reported reason for using the infinite layered pinblock is that it
isn't as prone to degradation through the years because it doesn't react
much to humidity changes. By my experience, it does react quite obviously.
Given the fact that there is very little resilience to the material, that
is very little recovery or spring back from compression, the torque
readings from low to high humidity periods will be substantially different
even though the block dimensions don't change much. Even so, they seem to
age relatively well, generally, but you will find the individual loose pin
more often than in less dense blocks. At least that's what I have found.

>(I'm like you again here, Ron N.  I've never taken a torque reading on one
>of my blocks.  I know what I want it to feel like when I'm done.  That's my
>goal.  How's that for scientific?!)
>
>Brian Trout
>Quarryville, PA

It doesn't hurt to try to digitize the analog, or quantify the subjective.
We do this mostly for communication among ourselves, but a whole lot of our
methods and "measurements" that we keep to ourselves don't have numbers
attached. That's why it's so hard to explain what we do to someone who
doesn't. That's my take, anyway. How's that for quantification of the
insubstantial?

Ron N