Heating with wood

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 07 Mar 2000 09:33:11 -0600

>We have heated our house almost exclusively with wood for over twenty years.
>Our console piano, which is now 35 years old, is in as good shape for its age
>as any I've seen.  It is equipped with a complete Dampp-Chaser system,
>however.
>
>Clyde Hollinger
>
>Richard Moody wrote:
>
>> > Not anywhere in a house heated exclusively with wood.
>> > Ron N
>>
>> I have had various pianos in such a house for 10 years now and not noticed
>> any ill effects.   ---ric

Exceptions! Gee, who'd have thought? In this part of the country, wood heat
generally means humidity readings around 10% in the winter. In the unlikely
event that the homeowners are aware that there even IS such a thing as
relative humidity, and that those who understand the concept are aware of
the detrimental effects of drastic humidity swings on their piano, and
other "furniture", and those few actually care enough to take some
corrective action, there is hope. For the other 97.059% the piano is doomed.

Steam heat with radiators is nearly as bad, with humidity readings down to
12%, and there are a lot more of them around.

These are merely my personal observations. If anyone out there lives in a
world with a different reality, they have my blessing and envy.

Ron N