Refinish Ebony Sharps & Ivory

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 19:42:40 -0500

I am in the process of refinishing a set of ebony sharps and ivory naturals

As Roger Jolly suggested, I sanded finish off the sharps, sanded them smooth
w/ 400 grit, and applied black shoe leather dye to them. They look great!
Shoe dye was easy to use also (also did the sides of the key with the
black). Instead of laquer (which I thought might wear off too soon) I used
Forsby's Tung Oil Finish. It looks pretty good, but after 2 days the finish
is still kinda gummy. Is there any way to get that stuff to dry? If I can
get it to dry, I was going to hit it with some 0000 steel wool & then buff.

Regarding the ivories, several folks recommended hydrogen peroxide or wood
bleach. Ok, but when do I bleach them? Before I sand (I plan of sanding w/
400, 600, and then likely 1,000 grit before polishing)? After I do the first
rough sanding? After I am done with all sanding? Just before the last
sanding (I'm guessing that it might be best to do most of my sanding, say
through 1,000 grit, then bleach, then hit the keys lightly with 1,500 grit
before polishing)?

And then how do I polish the ivories? Are there any specific compounds
and/or buffing wheels that work best? Any that I should necessarily avoid?

One last one. Several ivories are just starting to come unglued from the
keys. It appears that most of the ivory is attached quite well, but on
several you can push up on the lip and see that it is just starting to
separate. Is there a good method of reattaching the ivory to the key without
tearing all apart? I was thinking of just simply wicking a tad of thin CA
under there, wiping any runs off with the solvent, clamping, and let cure
with room humidity. Is that the best way? Is there any risk of thin CA
soaking into the ivory and making it look funky?

That's all the questions for now :-)

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida