pitch raising survey

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 10:22:52 -0500

Ooohhhhhhh, that is a sticky one. I too would like to see the range of
opinions on this question. I do not charge extra if the piano is 5 cents or
less. I do charge extra if the piano is more than 10 cents off (average). If
the keyboard is between 5 and 10 cents off, I sit there for a while and wish
that I knew what to do. I know what the piano needs, but what should I
charge extra for.

In part, I try to get a feel for what the client expects. If the client is a
good pianist and has a good piano, I talk to them about the need for a
separate pitch raise (and separate fee), and likely two additional passes
for a fine tuning (both for the standard tuning fee). If the client is Suzie
6yo and the piano is a 45 yo Winter spinet, I have a dillemma, do I charge
for a pitch raise and then just do a one pass tuning? Do I do a two pass
tuning (with the first one raising the pitch)? Do I do a one pass tuning
while raising the pitch (using the AccuTuner)? I don't know. Fortunately,
most 45 yo Winter spinets are a half-step flat - and I charge for however
many pitch raises it takes.

What do others do???

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service