Dampp-Chaser Again

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sun, 05 Mar 2000 19:19:50 -0500

Martin,

It depends during which season I am installing the system.  I remember one
of the first installations I did.  The tuning said bye-bye fast enough that
the buyer had serious questions about her purchase.  But she says she
wouldn't part with it now.

First you need to know that here in my part of Pennsylvania the humidity is
fairly moderate in May-June and November-December.   If I were installing a
system during those months, I would probably tune the piano right away.
But if a system were installed in March or August, and I tuned the piano at
the same time, the correction of the humidity level would very likely cause
the piano to go seriously out of tune within a month.  If I were the piano
owner, I would be quite frustrated with that, feeling that I had thrown my
money away.

I have noticed that some tunings change drastically within two weeks if
there is a serious weather change. But it may well be that it takes months
for ALL the piano's components to stabilize.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger