Stable Floor tunings?

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 16:08:47 -0500

Terry wrote:

>  Btw, After only 3 weeks on the job as a floor tuner, and having
>tuned 4-5 pianos a day (I guess that's a lot of pin turning for a
>newbie!), my tuning hand, specifically my fingers and thumb joint is
>very noticably stiff and painful in the morning and late at
>night...feels like arthritis..and I'm still a young man! Wonder if
>this could just be a result of having NEVER done this before, and I
>may be over-doing it a bit, too much too soon, right out of the
>gate. Anyway, I guess this is part of the game. I am going to start
>a strength training program where i work out...concentrating on
>neck, back and upper body. In the mean time I think I'll take this
>opportubity to take a couple aspirin and soak my hand in some epson
>salts! Ariverduchee

And you thought we were just a bunch of complainin' old geezers! Get
on your exercise program NOW: run, swim, bike, or whatever will put
you in good aerobic shape, and ease into a regular weights or
Nautilus program (don't overdo it & get yourself into more trouble).
Find a yoga class while you're at it (an hour or two of *quiet* while
stretching is just what a tuner needs after a day of floor tuning).
Meanwhile, it's been days since I've made it to the gym ...
Best wishes,
Patrick Draine