Stable Floor tunings?

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sun, 05 Mar 2000 01:26:26 +0100

Hi Terry, while aggreeing on most points with most respected Dan M, (and others)
I dont really adhere to this pounding buisness, not at least as I understand the
word pounding to mean. Ok, you got to hit the keys hard, but no harder then the
thumb and forfinger from about 2 inches away allow for. My experience tells me
that any harder than this really accomplishes nothing, tho it may create the
illusion of doing so. Regardless of how much you pound out over reasonalble hard
play, you are still going to have to re-tune the piano in a few weeks... nothing
really changes. (Flame suit not neccessary as I am inflamable... grin)

Otherwise you pretty well sum it up in your origional post, new pianos... cheap
ones that dont get enough attention at the factory especially.... in a location
with no humidity controll and large variations in the humidity.... this is a
prescription for unstablitity in tuning. Do your self a favour... read up,
research as much as you can get your hands on about what is really known about
humidity and how it affects instruments and their construction. Get yourself
armed with authoritive information so that you can speak with authority to store
owners and the like. And through the years put yourself in a position, through
hard work and learned skill, where you can walk away from individuals who simply
are not interested in understanding the truth of this matter.

Untill then my freind, you are going to just have to make the best of it.
Sometimes you will have to eat the proverbial sh--, from unfair and unreasonable
types that you simply need cuz of money concerns. But know that you are correct
in your assessment of the problem, and dont let it get you down or make you feel
like "its you" and not the piano. You will get better control over stability
concerns as it relates to hammer technique as time goes by anyways. But what you
describe is more typical of other factors then hammer technique. (poor hammer
technique normally shows results in a much shorter time... grin... like within a
couple days.)

If you like I can send you a few articles I have pertaining to humidity concerns
that you may not have found. In addition there are routinely articles in the
Journal. You should collect these and read them and all other pertainant
information.

Keep on keeping on.

--
Richard Brekne