hearing and tuning stretch

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Fri, 03 Mar 2000 19:09:53 PST

O.K. Phil,

I think we're on the same track....

When you say that you tend to stretch the upper octaves too much, but use
the checks to keep you  "in the window", is that with your earplugs on, or
off?  Notice any difference?  Play arpeggios to the top with them on and
then try the same thing without.

Yeah, I've only had the fitted plugs for a couple of months,  I used to use
the foam ones for practice room use only.

The guy that fitted my plugs said that I had a real small ear canal, and the
literature said something about trimming the plugs to help upper frequency
response, at the expense of making my voice louder to myself (occlusion
effect, but I usually am alone when wearing the plugs, so it helps me when I
talk to myself!)  I've trimmed a few times, maybe that is what is causing
this difference in my hearing.

anyone else?

Ron Koval

Chicago