Drums & tuning

Jlovekeys@AOL.COM Jlovekeys@AOL.COM
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 23:27:11 EST

In a message dated 3/1/00 9:12:10 PM, Billbrpt@AOL.COM writes:

<< A description (or even better, a demonstration at a
PTG event) of how this is done would be of interest to piano technicians. >>

Dear Bill and list,  When I worked in a retail music store, we carried a
device that measured the tension on the lugs of the drum.  I don't recall the
name of it but it was  a "dial" reading sorta torque wrench. I had a friend
who bought one and enthusiastically proceeded to tension up his snare to a
fine crispness and broke the new drum head he had just purchased.  I suppose
the device would be a good idea, though it does open up the can of worms
about rust and/or corrosion on the lugs interfering with a precise reading.
Also different materials in the drum head would make for different optimal
tensions. FWIW
Jim Love
PTG Associate
Midland, TX.