On a Scale of One

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Wed, 01 Mar 2000 22:10:57 -0600

>Wolfendon's published scale has changes for wire size, and I think the
>scale used in Mehlins corresponds with it (these two seem great when
>calculated for inhamonicity!)

Aha! There's a local tech here with a Mehlin in the shop right now. She
dropped the pin block off for me to rough cut a replacement. It's tapered
from one end to the other and she wasn't sure how she was going to
duplicate it, so she naturally ducked and took it to someone with more guts
than sense. Whatever, I'll have to get a look at the piano anyway, since
she informed me that there is a half moon slot cut in the soundboard tail.
Can't let this sort of thing go by without checking it out. Also, she'll
likely be more tolerant of me swarming all over and under her piano than
the lady with the Cable Nelson.

>But, what a great thing: if one variable is lacking, ignore it and try
>your best. Was this a Scale 5? They're very nice instruments.

???

>I just read in Colt's _The Antique Piano_ that Pleyel (perhaps through
>Pape's influence [my guess]) had been so excited about wound strings
>that he built a piano with _all_ wound strings. Even a stranger idea,
>eh?
>
>Clark

That would be a treble going "dunk" instead of "dink", yes? You'd have to
hit it so hard to hear it... nah, too easy.   8^)

Ron N