Convention quest-do on 4th?

Carol Beigel carolrpt@hotmail.com
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 09:03:08 EDT

To be in Washington, D.C. on the Fourth of July is truly a memorable
experience.  Arlington, Va. was supposed to be part of Washington, D.C. but
the state of Virginia reneged on the land.  Anyway, a crowd of about half a
million people will be gathering on the Mall all day to enjoy the Folk Life
Festival, concerts, fireworks, etc.  Not a good day if you don't like
crowds.

I still say it would be a wonderful day to go to the Mall, and see the
national archives, and perhaps take in an IMAX movie at the Air and Space
Museum.  There is also  the Impressionist exhibit from Argenteuil at the Art
Gallery.  The least crowded area would be around Piano 300 at the
International Gallery.  The subway stop is right there, and the formal
gardens there around the "castle" are beautiful.  There are many benches to
sit on and just people watch and enjoy the view!

It will be very hot on July 4th - about 94 degrees or higher.  Take or buy
lots of water.  You will need a hat and sunglasses if it is sunny!

Ask the concierge at the hotel where the best place is to watch the
fireworks.  You should be able to get a good view from Arlington!

Have fun!

Carol Beigel