lesson learned

Mark Graham magraham@bw.edu
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 08:06:49 -0400 (EDT)

Yes, if you're self-employed you don't HAVE to put up with things, but the
flip side is that if you're self-employed, after every tuning you're
looking for your next job. In 21 years I have only kissed off 2 customers.
One was very nasty to my wife over the phone -- he got the ax swiftly. a
second was a retired teacher who used my services three times, demanded a
senior discount which in those days I meekly gave, and each time called me
back to her house to fix nonexistent problems. Even then I was patient and
finally said, my work does not make you happy, you really need a different
technician. Her reply was to wail, but I'm willing to give you another
chance!

I take pride in my work, but I think it's important to be humble about our
results. Any yahoo can tune -- service and personality have a lot to do
with success. I try to salvage every situation possible. Of course,
sometimes I do not succeed and I lose the customer, but on the whole it
has worked.

I certainly am not criticizing Les's situation -- sounds like a very
difficult customer.

Mark Graham
Cleveland, Ohio