lesson learned

Leslie W Bartlett lesbart1@juno.com
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 22:05:58 -0500

 how low was it?
	At 440- the A was about 4-beats low, but up toward the top it was way
off.  The children evidently have closets full of medals won at
competitions.  I have never been unwilling to return to a customer and
touch up things, until today.  It wasn't the "best of days" for me,
today, and this guy was a jerk. He had the kid bang on two notes, maybe
three, and said they were horrible.  No, frankly, they weren't.  I had
told the wife that some notes would probably slip, because it hadn't been
tuned in a year and half, -she said. That may mean 18 months, or several
years, calendar time..... He was aggressive and accusative- so I simply
put his check in an envelope, and returned it to him. Yes, I know another
tuner will get the customer - maybe he'll be a hero. I'll be a schmuck,
but, in this case, I don't consider it a loss.  I have limits of
tolerance, in my better moments, that are fairly high. Today wasn't one
of those times.  I might have been less unwilling to compromise if  a) he
had been even the slightest bit solicitous, and b) it had been yesterday,
tomorrow, or next year........

	Thanks for your reply. I'll burn off some of this "energy" at the
convention, moving pianos!
les bartlett

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.