lesson learned

Leslie W Bartlett lesbart1@juno.com
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 20:14:22 -0500

Well, I learned a lesson today, but now, don't know quite what to do
about it. So, oldesters, who've learned this lesson, please to tell the
ignorant one how you've fixed it so you don't get in this situation
	Tuned a Kaway KG1 for a family yesterday. It was way low. I went through
it twice, and I told the lady of the house, "This piano was very much out
of pitch. I tuned it twice, but some notes will probably not stay in
tune."

	Tonight the man of the house called to tell me the piano was horrible.
Had his kid play on it, and about three notes were obviously not dead
center. He expected me to come out and return tomorrow, even though I
have a full schedule before heading to DC.  I said, that I would not
retune the piano since it had not been tuned in at least 18 months, and I
had told the lady it would have some problems.

	So, the question- how to stay ahead of this kind of thing. I tend to be
pretty naive, I guess, and must stop it immediately.  This customer is a
loss, and I'm not particularly sad about it. He was a nasty creature.
	Two or three questions.
	1) How far "out" out does it have to be before one says "pitch raise
extra tunings"? (given a decent piano)
	2) How do you get it through customers' heads that there is a problem
that won't go away in one tuning?

		I see that the tech must be the aggressor, and, in a sense, put the
client on the spot, here.  Hep the newbie, please- probably before I
leave for DC on Saturday a.m to move pianos.

thanks
les bartlett
houston
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!