Steinway style rep lever springs

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 19:59:24 -0400

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the note.

The flexibility of a wippen spring is a function of it's
length.  On a S&S spring the wippen portion is too short to
be usefully flexible.  I know, I just one and tried to bend
it.  Required too much force.  The longer arm of the jack
spring can be flex easily but the stress placed on this arm
is much less than the one above it.

I don't remember your wippen spring arrangement but I seem
to recall it as being fairly short.

The more coils on a spring the more easily it will bend so I
can understand two coils having more than desired
flexibility.

I _have_ bent wippen springs to get them to work the way I
wanted but I don't recommend doing so unless you know
exactly what you are looking for in terms of performance of
the spring.  Too many people think bending the arm is the
proper way to adjust the spring: it is not, hence my earlier
writing.

Take care and good to hear from you.

		Newton