Knabe grand reputation-Value?

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:57:12 PDT

 >>But it does bring up the ethical question of putting a well respected
product name on the 'piano' of your choice -- regardless of quality, design,
country of origin, etc.  Especially when simultaneously claiming the
historic heritage of said well respected product name.<<

Years ago I thought we were driving an American car, an old respected name,
Oldsmobile.  Then I discovered the engine was made in Italy.......

Last night I was called to evaluate a 5'2" Knabe from 1916 that will be sold
at an estate sale this weekend.  It sounds pretty good (bass strings are
just starting to get tubby) and the touch is quite even and easy to play.  A
beginner or amateur player would do quite well with it.  It was refinished,
"antiqued" in the past and looks nice. It has a perfect set of ivories.
Keybushings are good.

The strings and pins are rusty, although none broken yet.  The board,
bridges, ribs, rim and block ok.

The piano is extremely dirty inside, cat hair throughout as well as dust,
foreign beings, etc.  Hammers need shaping. Trapwork needs new felts and
leather; pedals very noisy.

In short (?)  piano needs rebuilding, but someone could get by with it as is
for awhile.  Would anyone have a guess as to it's value when being sold
retail? wholesale?

Thanks for advice!
Diane