George Gershwin's Music

Tue, 27 Jun 2000 12:50:10 -0500

David,

>Although I will grant to you that most music from the common practice can
>sound fine performed on instruments tuned in HTs, John Cage's composition 4'
>33" must be performed in equal temperament. Historical temperaments do not
>lend themselves to the subtle nuances of modulation this piece demands. This
>is a 20th century piece it should only be performed in a 20th century
>temperament!

Au contraire, my friend.  I have been preparing that piece and
experimenting with different temperaments.  For a while I
thought that Jorgensen's "Five and Seven" was the only one
which could do it justice... BUT ... I now find that the Pythagorean
with it's pure fifths is the best to evoke the tranquility  which is
the emotion best expressed by the composition.  Perfect fifths for
the piano and the pianist give the music a certain je ne sais quoi.

Conrad Hoffsommer - mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
-A rose by any other name would still attract aphids.