Chisels

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 11:51:43 -0400

robert goodale wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I am wanting to dive deeper into bridge cap replacement.  I was
> wondering if anyone could recommend where I might purchase some
> high quality chisels for notching.

While I'm not very handy with a chisel I can give you a few leads.
Woodcraft Supply carries a variety of wonderful chisels. They must have
a web page, but there's nothing like dropping by one of their brick and
mortar establishments.
There's a website for Mazzaglia Tools:
<http://www.geocities.com/mazzaglia_tools>.
He should be exhibiting at Arlington, check him out. I believe he worked
(possibly still does) at the Mason & Hamlin factory in Haverhill, MA,
from which experience he has adapted various jigs (e.g. hammer tailing &
tapering tools, etc.), and developed several specialized tools.
Anyways, his "mini brochure" lists seven notching chisels, two bearing
saws, and a special set of bearing gauges. Highly recommended by Bruce
Clark of the M&H factory.
Support the Massachusetts economy,

Patrick Draine