Bach and E.T. or W.T.

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 10:37:08 EDT

In a message dated 6/24/00 9:07:31 AM Central Daylight Time,
DonMannino@mediaone.net (Donald Mannino) writes:

<< Similar to your experience, after hearing a recital of beautiful piano
music on a well-tuned equal temperament, the mild Victorian Well I put into a
piano at the office sounds, well, a little coarse and uneven when some pieces
of music are played (the slow movement of the Hammerklavier, for instance -
all kinds of modulations, starting and ending in f# minor. So far I have not
found an unequal temperament that sets well with the mood of this piece). But
after practicing on the unequal for an hour or so, I don't mind it and can
appreciate it more. >>

Oh, I don't know, Don.  It's always wisest to stick with conventional wisdom
and standard practice, isn't it?  Why do you think the PTG Tuning Exam has ET
with 2:1 octaves in the 7th Octave?  It's because that is the only way a
piano sounds right.  At least that is what I've been told.

This whole business of unequal temperaments is pure malarkey, you know.
Everybody knows that Bach invented ET and wrote the ET Clavinova Music to
prove how good it is and that it has been universally accepted by all
composers and musicians ever since.    And that guy in Australia is right.
You proved it to yourself, too.  If you start messing around with these
unequal temperaments, they just might start sounding good to you.  If they
start sounding good to too many people, musicians might start choosing
digital pianos instead, where they can have any weird temperament they want
at just the touch of a button.  Now, that's something to be concerned about!

Everybody knows that Beethoven always had his Broadwood tuned in perfect ET
at all times.  All 3rds smoothly ascending and descending, perfect 4:5
contiguous 3rds throughout.  He never dared stretch an octave either.  That
would have spoiled the whole effect.  When he wrote that HammerClavinova
sonata, he chose the key to write in just because it sounded right in that
key and for no other reason.  He wanted all those modulations to be smooth as
silk, no rough stuff for him!

Now, you wouldn't dare have a Kawai piano tuned in an HT at the Convention,
would you?  Why take such a risk?  Someone might complain about it.  A group
of irate tuners might come up to you and demand that this never be done
again.  You might get some threatening letters.  If the corporate directors
hear about any complaints, you might lose your job!

ET is always the safe way to go.  No one will ever complain about it.  All
music will sound the way it's supposed to and the way everyone expects it to.
 Why get suckered in on such a folly when there will be no possible benefit
to it?  Do the right thing, do ET and do ET only and forever more.  Time and
the future will prove that you made the wise decision, the only right
decision to make.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin