Ringing middle string

Arlie D. Rauch adarpub@midrivers.com
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 07:18:41 -0600

On some old uprights, I've encountered a phenomenon in which the
middle string does not damp while the outer two do.  This may happen
on individual notes but sometimes on many notes.

Recently I replaced the damper felt in an old upright, and the middle
strings kept right on ringing (as they had done before), certainly
throughout the mid range of the piano.  Was the piano designed this
way to make it seem more alive?  I don't prefer it that way.  What is
the suggested fix, if there is one?

On some occasions on an individual note like that I have sanded the
damper felt so that it is thicker in the middle than on either side.
It works, but it would take a fair amount of time when many have this
characteristic.

Thanks for any input.

Arlie D. Rauch
Glendive, MT