impedance and empericism -- longer

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 21:29:37 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Don <drose@dlcwest.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2000 1:37 AM
Subject: Re: impedance and empericism -- longer

> Hi Ric,
>
> Sound boards *do* affect inharmonicity--and they are affected by relative
> humidity. It is not a stretch at all (or rather it affects it, LOL) I am
> not saying that sound boards are the only factor. I don't have a clue what
> they all are.
>
> I hope you did read the thesis address I posted on inharmoncity--it fits
> what you asked to a T about acoustics.

OK, perhaps soundboards DO have inharmonicity.  I hadn't thought of that
before.  But if that is the case the vibrating diaphrams of microphones have
IH, and perhaps ear drums themselves.  I suppose the consideration then is,
is there an seperate Ih for SBs, or is it a case of the tail wagging the
dog?   The fact the SB is vibrating itself due to a vibratings steel string
perhaps there are two sets of Ih to be considered.

    Yes I checked out the thesis.   It uses Ih formulas to arrive at
some sort of equation to construct electronic synthesis of piano tones. Way
over my head.  It was not on how to measure Ih.  If there is a section on
that please point it out.  It is really long.    From what I skimmed he
had to modify to "ideal" or what tone from Ih he  wanted, I suppose C grand
for
classical, and upright for ragtime type of thing.  Interesting that the
volume, or force of impact of hammer he claimed was negligible.   Or
something like one in 10,000.   Really good biblio.  Harold Conklin was in
there. It wasn't in alphabetical order so I couldn't check to see if Del was
listed. ; ) Again too long.   ---ric