String coupling.

Fri, 23 Jun 2000 21:37:26 +0200

> Robert Moffatt wrote:
>

> Ron Nossaman wrote:
>
> Also in every case, the unison sounded rougher than I can tune it
> aurally.
> Touching up aurally, the unison pitch drop disappeared again, or was
> greatly reduced. Checking each string individually against the display,
> they weren't precisely the same anymore, but the unison as a whole was on
> pitch and sounded good.
>
> Why?
>
> Because it was done aurally!!

Grin.. I just love these analytically provocative answers :)

>  Hi Ron,
>             At least you restored my sanity, well the little that I never
>  had. With a new set of hammers, very carefully mated to the strings, I
> have
>  noted that the partial pattern is very different on the centre string,
> by
>  single straight line needling up the cup line to pop the cup and then re
>  mating, similar patterns were obtained on all 3 strings.
>
> Card, level the strings....no "popping" the "cup line??" then remate???
> Simpley shape the the hammers (eliminates the "cup") then voice!!

Please expound a bit on the term "cup". I am not sure exactly what we are
talking about here. Otherwise I will give the idea of useing single string
voicing to evening out single string partial patterns a try. Sounds
interesting enough.

>  The ETD unison will now both show  and sound correct.
>
>  The only conclusion on my part is that the ear is a remarkable
> instrument,  in that it can
>  compensate in a manner that is amazing, when dealing with slightly false
>  beats and mis aligned partials.
>
> Then learn to use it!
>
> Please pass the straight jacket.
>
> It's all yours. 8~)
>
>  Bob Moffatt

Me thinks Mr Bob has a certain distaste for ETD's ??

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.