String coupling.

Wed, 21 Jun 2000 23:54:20 +0200

"Larry J. Messerly" wrote:

> Has anyone considered that this area of the soundboard may be the most
> flexible and that the single string of a unison does not have as much
> effect on the bridge as all three pulling the bridge up and down
> together.
>
> This would make the string "think" it is longer as the actual pivot point
> of the string moves from the bridge pin to behind the bridge pin.

Actually this almost sounds like a good explaination for the disparagy that
some of us seem to note. Different areas of the soundboard / different
tensions on strings might in some cases cause the reverse effect, or
contribute enough confusion to make the reading eratic. As I understand
Rons interest in the impedance thread, it has to do with whether or not the
bridge / panel at any given point is springy or massy in how it deals with
the string vibration. Correct me, Ron, if this is out to lunch...:)

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.