sweet squarepiano

Linda Stråhle linda.laserbeam@home.se
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 22:28:54 +0200

Hi Terry!

My "sweet" square is from about 1810-1820 the experts told me.It=B4's a =
Raedecker & Lunau  made in L=FCbeck. With the shallow key dip I can play =
much=20
faster and that is the sweet thing for me. No, honestly it feels kind of =
strange and it take a while to get used to it. But I can play fast!!

this is directly from a broschure from Malcolm Rose
Type A: For Harpsicords, viriginals and spinets......
Type B: For fortepianos and Square pianos up to ca 1820
Type C: For pianos from c 1820 to c. 1840 a hard drawn iron with a =
carbon content
Type D: this wire is of the same material as type C, but in a =
harder-drawn state suitable for instruments in the 1840=B4s

Average density:7769 kg/m3

If you take one of the old strings from the piano you will be =
restringing, and compare it with a modern one of the same diameter. Try =
to bend it in your hand and feel if there is any differens in the =
stiffnes of the string.
If it is an old type of string it would bend very easily.

I don=B4t know when they switched from iron to steel. I think it was =
over a period of time. But on a square from 1865 I think I would use =
modern strings, but maybee calculate on the scale to get a picture of =
the tension of the strings.

I don=B4t have much experiance in this at all. I just did my square =
piano for fun, I like older instruments.

I also have a Bl=FCthner from 1873 and a Chickering grandpiano from =
1882. How the Chickering ended up in Sweden would be interesting to find =
out....

Linda Str=E5hle=20
S:P:T:F
Malmoe