Brass Rail Clips? On Lyon and Healy Upright?

Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 18:21:46 -0600

At 10:49 AM 6/20/00 -0400, you wrote:
>I am looking for some advice on solving a problem.

Bill and list,
	One of the niftiest tricks I ever learned for brass rail actions only
works if there are no more than 1 or 2  gone in one place. Quick, easy, and
surely meant for the borderline pro-bono-type repair.
	Just remove the two butts on either side of the busted one, and replace
the center pins with a nice piece of heavy bass core wire. (round, not hex)
Long enough to reach from good clip to good clip. Run the wire through the
butt of the busted one, and use balance rail papers or felt to space the
busted one. Once you clamp the wires on either side, they won't shift.
Every one in a while, I come across this repair where I did it years ago.
Holds up well, and the hammer doesn't wobble if the bushings are good.
	I didn't invent this procedure, but I can attest to it's value. Again....
not the best repair, but great in a pinch (time or budget).

Guy