Brass Rail Clips? On Lyon and Healy Upright?

Mark Dierauf mdierauf@mediaone.net
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 15:49:45 -0400

  Best luck I've ever had was with Apsco's repair flanges (#24503 pg. 77 in
their newest catalog). If you're very lucky, the brass rail will have a
mounting screw corresponding to each hammer-butt. If you're unlucky then
you'll have to remove the  rail and mark and drill for them, plugging and
relocating old holes as necessary to achieve the correct geometry. If the
piano is otherwise worth saving then this is a worthwhile way to spend an
afternoon.
  An oldtimer who was a great help to me in my earlier days used to anneal
intact brass rails in his coal furnace for me. I would then replace the butt
plates as a matter of course, but this only works *before* the tabs start to
break on their own. After this, you're better off in the long run replacing
the rails alltogether.

- Mark