An education in stability/resolution

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 07:52:29 -0400

Sorry to take so long to finish this thread but been very busy.

Joe & Penny Gross suggested in a private E-mail I tap
all the strings on the bridge. This improved the tunability
and stability enormously. Did not have to retune the beast
for the final five shows.

Further investigation revealed that the piano was moved from
the  rehearsal hall, where heat is practically turned off during
winter for non-rehersal days. (This is Canada). Just enough heat
on to keep the pipes from freezing. With such very extreme, and
regular fluctuations in humidity this piano soundboard
has had plenty of exercise & lots of push ups.
The stings moved allot when tapped, they were riding
bridge pins quite high.  I've tapped stings for improved
tone/center, but never thought much as to how this might improve
stability.
Theaters are air conditioned during summers far too much today;
need a jacket to see a movie or play. All that cold air
goes directly into the pit.

PS
For those that inquired, no I wasn't playing piano in the pit.
Woodwinds, (saxes, clarinet, base clarinet, flute).
12 piece orchestra for the show.

                                                   Cheers
                                                   Dave Renaud
                                                   RPT