Giving advice

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 06:44:16 -0400

It always tough for me to know how much unsolicited advice to give regarding an
area that is peripheral to piano service.  I did it a couple times, though, in
an attempt to help.

Generally I pointed out that by raising the charge for piano lessons by $1 per
week, they could accumulate money (assuming they're disciplined enough to do it)
toward the eventual purchase of a humidity control system or a better or even
new piano.  They could also buy first and make payments, but I rarely recommend
this because I am negative toward buying things with money you don't have yet
(other than a mortgage).

So if a teacher has 15 students, $1 extra per lesson for 50 weeks would yield
$750 annually.  A complete humidity control system can be bought with cash well
before the first year goes by, and a significantly better piano could be
purchased in three years.  But some teachers find raising their rates very hard
to do.

Clyde