Tuning frequency

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 16:41:29 -0600

>I have some clients whose piano hardly gets used at all, and some of these
are the
>type who are thinking of tuning "once-every-15-years."  I encourage them
to buy at
>least 2-year tunings.  This is the lowest frequency I will call back with
reminders
>about service due.  Some of them follow through with this recommendation,
and some
>don't.  I have never had another technician agree with me that 2-year
tunings are
>acceptable in cases like these, but I'm sticking to it, since I often find
these
>pianos with very little change, tuning or otherwise.
>
>Regards,
>Clyde

Hi Clyde,
              I like your approach for this type of client, the only
caution, is that you go on the same month each time, to minimize the
seasonal pitch correction.
Our new pianos that come in sharp we tune to A442, and let mother nature
take it's coarse, they will drop soon enough.  Unless exceptional
circumstances new sharp pianos, are tuned sharp, before leaving the store,
if they are still a little sharp 6 weeks later, we will still tune them
where they sit. Usually at the second visit we are back to raising pitch to
A440.
Regards Roger

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.