Bridge Pin/Epoxy Question

Carol Beigel carolrpt@hotmail.com
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 13:28:46 EDT

If the piano was not going to be restrung, the strings were loosened and
moved to the side to avoid getting any marine resin on them.  The beauty of
this method was the soldering iron got the bridge pins hot, and the marine
resin slurped down the sides of the pins and deep into the bridge, filling
the cracks, too!  If by some chance the pins were not hot enough, or the
resin puddled next to the pins, a razor blade could be used to clean the
bridge after the resin got "gummy".

Remember, this method was used in reconditioning pianos.  If I was
rebuilding, I would make a mylar template of the bridge and recap it using
quarter-sawn maple.  I drilled the new holes using a hand-held drill.  Once
you get the hang of it, it is more accurate than using a drill press!  I
also kept a separate set of drill bits and chisels for only bridge work.

Carol Beigel