Tuning frequency

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 22:09:05 -0400

Friends,

If a client is really interested in keeping the piano reasonably in tune at all
times, then even 6-month tunings aren't often enough for my area, given the wide
humidity fluctuations we have here.  For them I would recommend oftener tunings
(even every month or two wouldn't be out of the question) or a complete humidity
control system coupled with either 6- or 12-month tunings.

But other factors enter in here, including the home's economic situation and the
frequent inability of anybody in the family being able to tell if the piano is
in tune or not.  Here is my standard line:  "Most piano manufacturers recommend
tuning every six months.  Most of my clients find that annual tunings are
acceptable."  A reference to the role of humidity is often in the discussion.

I like to think of myself as impartial, so I try to look at the recommendation
not only from the standpoint of staying in business and the welfare of the
piano, but also the use the piano will receive and the family's ability to fit
its service into the budget.  I'm a big softy, I guess, but according to data
released by the PTG my earnings are in the top 20% of the membership.

I personally favor annual tunings unless the piano is humidity-controlled.
Six-months tunings without humidity control result in the need to make frequent
pitch corrections, which I think has to take a toll on the life of the strings
and the pinblock.  But of course the benefit of 6-month tunings is that the
piano is in tune twice a year instead of just once.

Regards,
Clyde