Fw: Mehlin tuning stability???

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:07:58 -0500

>... I have a chance to pick up a  6'   Mehlin.
>I am wondering how it will take to a tuning
>Will it be  stable and hold a tuning or it a waste
>of time to rebuild it?

Since you have said you welcome all comments, here's mine.  The only way
you're going to find out what you want to know is to inspect and tune it
yourself, then make some determinations from your findings as to its
ability to hold a tune and its stability.

As to rebuilding this particular piano being a waste of time, that truly
depends on the reasons you have for considering such a project.

>... I have heard  several Mehlin's and they
>all had a weak bass section.  Is a weak bass
>characteristic of this piano.

Apparently your experience says so.  I don't recall that being an issue
with the Mehlin & Sons' pianos I've experienced.  They made some decent
pianos in their days of glory.

>I will welcome all comments.
>Thanks, Bill Peterson associate from the South Bay  Chapter.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild