string noise

Keith Jones kjones@well.com
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 20:48:43 -0700

Hello all, I worked on a cheap Kawaii studio model today, and it had a
problem that I see fairly often on small pianos. I call it "screaming
harmonics", it can be on just one note, or several and it sounds like one
of the upper partials is inordinately loud. I've tried to quiet these in
the past with hammer needling,it seems to make the note softer, and the
noise less annoying, but it's still there. On this particular piano it was
on F2 only, which just happens to be the first bi-chord unison, and it was
noticable on both strings. Does anyone have any specific voicing techniques
to deal with this problem? Thanks.
Keith Jones Piano Tuning
kjones@well.com