square grand

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 21:36:54 -0400

Make a tuning aid:
Take 7 of 8 cardboard front rail punchings.
Enlarge the hole to slip them over the tuning pins.
Mark the letters of the keys encompassing the temperament octave.
    (# or b notes need no punchings because the naturals
    demarcate the layout well enough.)

Place then on the open strings of your muted unisons.

This will give you a quick reference while you're hunched
over the keyboard stretching to reach the pins.

Don't make a habit of it,

Jon Page

At 07:07 PM 06/15/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>At 05:29 PM 6/15/00 -0700, you wrote:
> >List, I'm going to tune a square grand for the first time and would greatly
> >appreciate any and all advice. I have had others scheduled but it always
> >happened that for one or another reason it was canceled, I guess their is
> >always another first time. Thanks for you help. Patricia Neely
>
>RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>But... if you can't, just be sure the customer understands that it will
>never sound like a modern piano. Take a few extra strip mutes or dish
>towels to dampen singing wires, since you normally have to remove the
>damper mechanism anyway. Either remove the lid (with help) or lean it
>against the wall with a pad. Make sure the angle is steep enough to prevent
>it from falling. Use your extension lever.
>Call your massage therapist/chiropractor now.
>
>Charge enough (double).
>
>Remember.... when you're done..... it's still "Play"!
>
>Enjoy,
>Guy
>

>"On the other hand, you've got different fingers."
>                                                         anon

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net