[impedance]

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 17:14:53 -0600

Hi Marc,

With todays technology it is *already* possible to prove that the frequence
of the partials change with voicing and also with the changes in the
humidity content of the sound board. We can minize such changes with
humidity control--but unfortunately we can't control the barometric
pressure which affects the partial pressure of the water content of the
wood. Sorry to rain on your parade. It affects the octave widths as well so
the change is on all partials from the bottom up. Remember Marc, we can
hear very tiny changes in frequence as tuners probably on the order of
0.025 hertz at A4 partial one.

At 08:52 AM 06/13/2000 EDT, you wrote:
>Don:
>
>Ouch -- yes, if the string coupling to the soundboard changes significantly,
>then the *amplitudes* of the various partials will change also. I doubt that
>their *frequencies* would change significantly (apart from second-order
>because the frequencies of the partials are essentially determined by the
>string itself -- normal small-amplitude vibrations of the soundboard are not
>big enough to give rise to spurious frequency components
Regards,

drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.htmlplanet.com/

3004 Grant Rd.