[Re: ETD Question]

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 07:04:32 -0500

>Hi Ron,
>
>My point is that the data for a *perfect* tuning device would have to be
>collected each and every time. Come to think of it...that's just what ears
>do? LOLROF!
>Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T.

Hi Don,
An excellent point too. Sorry about the diversion. <G> With tuning, we're
trying to hit a moving and indistinctly identified target by applying a
largely unquantified process to an incomplete control of mechanisms to
produce a result that won't be universally acceptable in the first place.
It seems to me that we could draw the lines almost anywhere we chose to
take a stand. I'm really very impressed with the progress made in recent
years in understanding the physics of tuning, but it's also made me realize
more and more how much of the process is damage control in working with the
realities built into the piano. I can certainly see where an ETD is an
excellent tool for demonstrating the differences between what the math says
should be, and what the piano says it wants. Given that the math is worked
from necessarily incomplete information gotten from the piano (not
everything is measured, and the piano often lies to the ETD anyway), the
algorithms seem to be pretty close to the granularity limit of the
information available from the piano within a reasonable time frame. As
usual, practicality has to meet theory at some usable point if the whole
thing is going to do anyone any good. I think they've done an amazing job
getting this far.

Ron N