replacing castors...

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 22:50:11 -0500

>I would like to replace the casters on my Yamaha U1, as they are quite
>rusted and "frozen". Can anyone suggest a way I can do this--alone?
>Terry Peterson

Like Jim said, set it up on end... but...

The problem isn't getting the piano up on end, it's getting it off of it's
end and catching it as it comes down to safely lower it back to the floor.
I recommend tipping it on it's side, not flat on the floor, but on a tool
box or prop of some sort ( at the top of the side, and suitably padded)
that's 6" to 10" high. that still allows you access to the castors, without
making it impossible to pull the thing back over center to set it back down
when you're done. The smart thing, naturally, would be to use a tilter, but
you usually get surprised with this type of repair (especially in a school
system), and don't have your tilter handy. That's carefully avoiding the
question of the likelihood of any one of us actually consciously doing the
smart thing, which is another matter altogether. Interestingly, all it
takes is ONE instance of someone on the faculty watching you heave a piano
up on end and balance it on the band room conductor's platform to do a
castor repair (roaring while lifting is an especially endearing dramatic
effect) will get you a miraculous amount of accommodation anywhere in the
system for at least the next two years. Strange, isn't it?

Just another little tip from your uncle Wookie.

Ron N