Bridge Pin/Epoxy Question

ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 16:48:21 EDT

I understand your experiment and can believe your result.  However, did you
drill your trial through pinblock material?  I used thin visc. CA glue on
some of the loosest, driest, cracked and worst pianos I have ever encountered
in the desert region of Africa last year.  When I returned to check these
pianos I found them holding well after the applications of CA were applied.
One piano had no torque on most pins and after two applications of CA glue it
was holding at 50"lbs to 70" lbs.  Even after a year it was holding at
similar readings.  I have written about how and what was done on the list
before.  I still believe thin visc. My field studies have me convinced.  CA
has a definite place in assisting torque on old beater upright pinblocks and
will use it again.

Ed Tomlinson

<<  I did do some experiments of my own though, and glued two pieces of
 maple together......... on application of tensile force, the glue joint did
 not break, but the wood separated leaving timber on both sides of the glue.
 I also drilled a piece of maple to be a couple of "thou" loose on a tuning
 pin, filled with CA and left it over night,(this is the time it takes to
 achieve full strength).The following morning, the pin was at first stiff,
 but with a little more "shear" force, the CA broke down. This convinced me
 that it was not the stuff for loose tuning pins! >>

Ed Tomlinson
Cascade Piano
Piano Sales/Piano Technician